A Legend has it that Kihirikanda (Kudiramalai), a point on the shore was the landing place of Vijaya, while Kuveni lived in 'Kālivila (Kali Villu)', in the Wilpattu National Park.
Pointedly, Kāli" is a female demonic (Yakkha) representation of Durga. Kihirikanda was visited by Roman sailors during the time of Claudius (417 AD), and Pliny talks of a large settlement called "Hippuros" here. The worf "hippuros" evokes horses, and connects with the word "Kudira" which is a Dravidian root word for "horse". Thus there may have been a name like "Thuranga-male" which was directly rendered in to Malayalam during the Magha invasions, giving the form Kuthirimalai, as it exists today. That the Magha invaders simply translated place names into Dravidian equivalents is seen from the rendering if Meepathota into Illupiakadavai by the Magha.
Another possibility is that the word 'Kadira', from Sanskrit, probably refers to Mimosa Catechu' of the 'accacia' family, and is the 'Kihiri' tree in Sinhala and 'Karuveal' in Tamil. This is consistent with the vegetation of the area.
- Activities (1)
- Bird Watching in Kalpitiya (1)
- Dolphin watching in Kalpitiya (11)
- kalpitiya accommodation (13)
- Kalpitiya Attractions (11)
- Kalpitiya Beach (1)
- Kalpitiya Dutch Fort (1)
- Kalpitiya History (4)
- kalpitiya hotels (16)
- Kalpitiya Islands (1)
- Kalpitiya News (20)
- Kalpitiya Old Dutch Church (1)
- Kalpitiya wildlife (3)
- Kite Surfing in Sri Lanka (1)
- Kudiramalai (4)
- Spinner Dolphins in Kalpitiya (1)
- Talawila (4)
- Turtle Watching in Kalpitiya (2)
- Videos (4)
- Whale watching in Kalpitiya (4)
The annual Thalawila St. Anne’s Church Festival will be held on the 1st of August. This is one of the major Church Festivals in Sri Lanka, ...
Sokari is a form of folk drama brought to Sri Lanka by migrant workers from South India many centuries ago. The name "Sokari&quo...
Mannar is a place related to our island country from ancient times even before our chronicle Mahavansa was written. It was Mannar from where...
Kalpitiya has an old Dutch Fort (1667), built on an older Catholic shrine. It guarded the strategic entrance to the large lagoon. The Dutch...
Entrance to the church Dated 1606 P illar of the church bells some old tomb stones probably an old christening / baptism place side e...
345 years old drinking water well Tunnel which connects to the sea The tunnel which connects to the Dutch Church Source:http://lankadeep...
Location Alankuda Beach is a tranquil eco-retreat located in the rural fishing village of Alankuda on the North West Coast. Situated along ...
Spinner dolphins in Kalpitiya Source: http://www.sethawadiya.com
Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne offers compelling evidence why Kalpitiya can be one of Sri Lanka’s three whale watching hot spots. This is the ...